9 January 2020
Sweet Corn Nuts
San Carlos Whole Cane Sugar (Panela)
Sweet corn nuts, also known as “caca de perro” (dog poop), is a traditional treat from the Ecuadorian Sierra. According several historians it was first made in Quito’s convents, where nuns created new recipes by using both native and foreign ingredients.
This ancestral Ecuadorian treat can be enjoyed at any time of the day.
- 1 pound dry corn to toast
- ½ pound SAN CARLOS WHOLE CANE SUGAR
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- Vegetable oil
- In a big cooking pan, toast the corn using vegetable oil. Swirl constantly with a wooden spoon until well-cooked.
- In a saucepan, add 2 cups of water with the SAN CARLOS WHOLE CANE SUGAR. Add cinnamon and simmer until liquid turns golden.
- When the caramel is ready, pour it in the corn pot and mix, stirring with the wooden spoon so that they don’t stick to each other.