The Project Energy Cogeneration has the objective to use and recycle organic waste from the sugar mill process, making the bagasse obtained from production be a renewable source for producing clean electricity.

The 30% of the electricity generated is used for sugar production and the remainder 70% is delivered to the Sistema Nacional Interconectado (National Power Grid), contributing in a 120.000 tons reduction in carbon dioxide annual emissions and also in the National Energy Matrix.

In consequence, this is the first Ecuadorian project producing energy from biomass and the first one with international recognition from the United Nations (UN) as a clean mechanism for development.